Necessary paperwork for selling a junk car
Looking to sell a junk car, but don’t know what paperwork you need?
Look no further. Here is your definitive guide to selling a junk car in Florida.
Selling a junk car: Necessary paperwork
Generally speaking, to sell your car, you’ll need:
- to provide the car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) to the buyer prior to sale
- a valid, current state ID
- a car title OR a completed Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles form 82137
Why do you need the VIN to sell a junk car?
Any reputable junk car buyer will require the VIN before coming out to pick up the car.
Because running the VIN is the only way to determine whether the vehicle is stolen, or whether there is a lien on it. The VIN gives the dealer or recycler access to information about the car, not about the owner. It’s not only necessary, but also perfectly safe to provide that information when asked for it.
Selling a junk car with the title
You’ll need to show your valid state ID and hand over the title at the time of sale. In Florida, you need to present a blue and white paper title—not just an electronic title—to be able to sell the car as a titled vehicle.
If you don’t have the paper title, don’t fret. You can still sell the car for salvage, though you likely won’t get as much money for it as you would for a titled vehicle. Not title, no problem!
Selling a junk car without the title
You can sell your junk car without the title if it is at least 10 years old.
For purposes of car sales, the year resets in November. So, from November of 2020 through October 2021, you can sell a junk car of model year 2011 or earlier without a title. Starting in November 2021, you can sell a car of model year 2012 or earlier.
If you don’t have the title, you must provide form 82137, also known as an Application for a Derelict Motor Vehicle Certificate and Request to Cancel Title. You’ll need to sign the form and affix your thumbprint in the presence of the buyer. When you sell a junk car to All Car Buys, the driver who comes out for the car will help you through the process.
I have the title but it’s not in my name. Can I still sell the vehicle as a titled vehicle?
If the title is not in your name, you have two options:
- Junk your car through Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. This requires filling out paperwork to transfer the title before you can sell the car.
- Sell the car to a salvage dealer like All Car Buys as an untitled vehicle, provided that it is at least 10 years old. To do so, simply present:
- a valid state ID,
- proof of ownership, and
- form 82137, the Application for a Derelict Motor Vehicle Certificate and Request to Cancel Title, complete with thumbprint. Our driver will assist you with this paperwork
Paperwork you do NOT need to sell a junk car in Florida
Now that we’ve covered what paperwork you need to sell a junk car, here’s a partial list of paperwork you don’t need:
- proof of insurance
- car registration
Looking to sell your junk car in Florida?
In search of the best price for your junk car in Orange County, Seminole County, Osceola County, Lake County or Polk County in Florida? Our professional drivers come to you, help you with the paperwork, and tow your junk car away for free. We’re open seven days a week, so give us a call and request a quote today!